The Atlas Metal Works industrial complex was built on land that was opened for development after construction of the Trinity River levees in the 1920s. The company, which started in 1904 manufactured culvert pipe, silos, stock tanks, and water cisterns with its original location near current-day City Hall. To meet growing demand, a 40,000 square foot facility was constructed in 1929 on 7 acres along Eagle Ford Road, now Singleton Boulevard. A free-standing Art Deco style office building was constructed and metal sheds with striking gable roofs were built for manufacturing. During World War II the facility expanded by 11,000 square feet.
Millard Storey was one of the founders of the company, and his sons Millard and Boude began working there around 1908. Boude Storey became the company president and served for nine years on the school board, with six of those as president. He continued to work for Atlas until his death in 1959. The company continues operating as a metal factory to this day under the Storey family.
A portion of Atlas’ acreage was sold several years ago for the construction of a large apartment complex and town homes. Gentrification is rampant in this area of the city with new construction on vacant lots and demolition of older structures for new construction. It is only a matter of time before a developer comes along with a large sum of money to purchase and raze the Atlas Metal Works for new development, thus destroying one of the few remaining examples of industrial architecture from the 1920s.