Christian Scientists first established a congregation in Dallas in 1894, meeting in a series of downtown buildings. The congregation sold its wood-frame building on South Ervay Street near Marilla Street in 1910 to construct their new church on a recently purchased parcel of land at the corner of Browder and Cadiz in Browder’s Addition. The neo-Classical Revival style church was designed by the well-known firm of Hubbell and Greene, who also designed the Scottish Rite Temple on Harwood Street. The design was intended to reflect the mother church in Boston with its impressive dome on the roof and its Adamesque interior design. Construction work began with the cornerstone being laid on August 27, 1910. The first service in the new 900-seat church was held on January 14, 1912.
First Church of Christ, Scientist occupied the building into the 1980s. By that time the area around it had become deteriorated and members moved to other Christian Science congregations. The building was purchased in 1999 and the new owner completed a renovation of the dilapidated structure which included a new roof, restoration of the metal dome, repair of the exterior masonry, and restoration of the interior along with installing dressing rooms, restrooms, and box office into the original structure. The structure reopened in 2000 as a performing arts center.
The building is currently for sale and the surrounding area south of City Hall has been proposed for massive redevelopment with new towers and buildings which does not include retaining the church. This important religious structure is not protected by the Dallas Landmark status, putting it at increased risk for demolition as part of future redevelopment of the area.
UPDATE: The building has sold to church who is holding services in the building once again.